Revolutionary Putting Tips

With so many putting tips in the golf instruction world, it can be a hassle when it comes to choosing the right ones.

Those putting tips may sound and look promising in golf instruction magazines, but be careful when choosing these tips because a lot of them will do more harm than good.

Most putting instruction you see with putting these days will more times than not focus on Putting Techniques.

This should alarm you considering research by David Orr on the putting stroke has proven the stroke only has a 17% influence on a ball's starting direction while the other 83% would be the face angle of the putter at impact.

If that is the case then what does it take to be good at putting?

To learn how to putt in this game, you will need to refer to Geoff Mangum's 4 skills of putting.

Those 4 skills are:

  • Putting Speed
  • Putter Aim
  • Green Reading
  • Starting The Ball On Your Intended Line

With the practice of these 4 skills you are now shifting your focus from the worries of the putting stroke and setup to now what matters most and that is making the putt.

There are times to focus on the putting stroke especially if you have a cut stroke or are a beginner starting out in the game in need of a starting point. Otherwise, you should be spending your time grooving the stroke pattern that you currently own.

The ability to repeat a consistent stroke is a characteristic that all PGA and LPGA tour players have in common. Consistency is what allows them to be excellent at controlling their speed.

Check out my Putting Drills section for the 2 ball drill along with other drills to see how well you measure up.

The reason why the best putters in the world are better than the average golfer is that they have mastered their stroke timing along with the "4 skills of putting." As a result of this, they have separated themselves from the amateurs.

Return from Putting Tips to Bo Knows Golf Tips home page

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Bo Knows Golf Tips Facebook Bo Knows Golf Tips Twitter

We appreciate anything you can contribute to this website. We appreciate your support as we do not take your donations lightly as it helps keep our website current and fresh with information. To donate please use the button below. If you give $20 or more we will send you our free E-Book "The Major Swing Philosophies of Golf" by Bo Watson

Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter!

E-mail Address
First Name

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bo Knows Golf Tips Newsletter.

Ask a Pro Can't find what you're looking for? Ask me over at Golf Questions and Answers Page.

Putting Line Find out why a correctly fit putter is crucial to the success of your Putting Line.


Bo, I wanted to thank you for your help so far with my golf game. I wanted to let you know that I shot a 75 the other day in a tournament round, my best round ever. I had 32 total putts and NO 3 putts. I definitely couldn't have done that before. Thanks again and I'll be back in touch soon to get some more lessons lined up.


Bo I just wanted to tell you about another tournament I played in. I went out and played and shot a 75 which is one of my best rounds this year so I think everything is coming together. I've been making alot of birdies lately and just wanted to thank you for everything!

Adam Mikhalko

Hey Bo when I got back from camp I played really well I’m putting great and I’m hitting the ball well. Thank you for everything at camp.


Hey Bo!!! I have been playing my best in golf, mostly because of you!!! two days ago I shot an 80 in my club tourney and came in 3rd place.

Brandtley Taylor

I played in a tournament when I got back from camp and shot 76 and came in fourth. I feel much more confident on the course with my mental thoughts. I used the tips you wrote down on that sheet and they have helped me alot.

Freddy Weber