Golf Slice

Shot after shot you hit to the right a golf slice and you can't seem to figure out what causes it.

It can be frustrating to see these shots continually go to the right, as well as the loss in distance that results from it, but no need to give up.

There are many cures for the slice. Before you can correct the golf slice you need to first understand the root cause.

golf slice

A slice occurs from the clubface coming from an out to in path with the clubface being extremely open to the path.

The D Plane states that the ball starts 85% to where the face is pointing at impact and curves due to the remaining 15% from the path.

That's why the ball starts closer to the line where the face is pointing at impact and then curves off-line due to the path.

You may even get an occasional pull where the face is aiming left at impact matching the path resulting in a straight shot missing left of your target. Below you will find an example of a pulled shot.

Golf Pull

Whenever there is a pulled shot left of the target it is due to the club face at impact matching the club path. When these two match up, the inevitable result is a pull.

Faults that Encourage a Slice

  • Setting up with a closed alignment being shoulders aimed left of the target influences an out to in path

  • Taking the club too far inside which is caused by over-rotation in the takeaway, which in turn causes a shift of the club too far inside on the backswing to coming down too steep on the downswing
  • A poor shoulder and hip turn during backswing
  • Wrists cocking too much which can delay the downswing sequence sending the club outside on a steep plane angle
  • Ball position is too far forward
  • Left leg straightens too quickly in downswing
  • One of the leading causes of a slice results from spinning the shoulders and hips in a rounded motion from the top of the swing, and not straightening the right arm quick enough

With all of these faults being an influence to the path just remember that there are many other combinations that can influence the path to come from the outside.

Your ball flight will not lie to you, therefore, if the ball is curving to the right you know it was in result of the information you gave it at impact.

Check out fixing golf slice for drills on how to eliminate that slice for good!

Return From Golf Slice to Bo Knows Golf Tips

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Bo Knows Golf Tips Facebook Bo Knows Golf Tips Twitter

We appreciate anything you can contribute to this website. We appreciate your support as we do not take your donations lightly as it helps keep our website current and fresh with information. To donate please use the button below. If you give $20 or more we will send you our free E-Book "The Major Swing Philosophies of Golf" by Bo Watson

Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter!

E-mail Address
First Name

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bo Knows Golf Tips Newsletter.

Ask a Pro Can't find what you're looking for? Ask me over at Golf Questions and Answers Page.

Putting Line Find out why a correctly fit putter is crucial to the success of your Putting Line.


Bo, I wanted to thank you for your help so far with my golf game. I wanted to let you know that I shot a 75 the other day in a tournament round, my best round ever. I had 32 total putts and NO 3 putts. I definitely couldn't have done that before. Thanks again and I'll be back in touch soon to get some more lessons lined up.


Bo I just wanted to tell you about another tournament I played in. I went out and played and shot a 75 which is one of my best rounds this year so I think everything is coming together. I've been making alot of birdies lately and just wanted to thank you for everything!

Adam Mikhalko

Hey Bo when I got back from camp I played really well I’m putting great and I’m hitting the ball well. Thank you for everything at camp.


Hey Bo!!! I have been playing my best in golf, mostly because of you!!! two days ago I shot an 80 in my club tourney and came in 3rd place.

Brandtley Taylor

I played in a tournament when I got back from camp and shot 76 and came in fourth. I feel much more confident on the course with my mental thoughts. I used the tips you wrote down on that sheet and they have helped me alot.

Freddy Weber