How to Hit a Draw Effectively

Learning the steps required on how to hit a draw can be crucial to producing a consistent shot. In this game you're always striving for consistency and in order to attain a consistent draw you are going to need to know how a draw shot happens and the setup for it.

The golf draw is described as a shot that will start right of the intended target and curve back towards the target.

Golf instruction over the past couple of decades has taught golfers that in order to hit a draw the path is the deciding factor and it needs to be inside to out. That is only partially the truth.

What needs to be understood first and foremost is that path is only a small percentage of the equation.

The club path only accounts for about 15% of a golf ball's starting direction. The other 85% is dictated by club face angle. These numbers can be found on TrackMan page 2 of their newsletter.

The following picture of Joe Ozaki will demonstrate:

how to hit a draw

With the face angle being the deciding factor of a ball's starting direction you will notice that the ball started 85% toward the face at impact and then due to the path being further right of the face angle at impact there was a draw back towards the target. After understanding these crucial pieces on how to hit a draw one should look next at the factors that help setup for a draw.

These factors are:

  • Club path inside to out

  • Face angle open to the target line but closed to the path

  • Right foot is pulled back just slightly
  • Ball Placement is in the middle to back of stance
  • Hips slide in the downswing
  • Club shaft is leaning towards the target

Using these factors at setup will greatly increase the likelihood of hitting a draw. Positioning the ball slightly further back in the middle of the stance forces the player to hit the ball on the backside of the arc, which in turn is the cause of a draw.

To demonstrate the setup and give a picture this will help:

golf dra

The purple dot is known as low point, which is the point where the club reaches maximum length.

The blue arc is the swing path while the club path is the direction the clubhead was moving at impact.

By placing the ball in the middle of the stance it increases the chances of the clubface making contact on the back side of the arc which means the path will be to the right of the target line.

Be sure to check out the d-plane for more detailed explanations concerning how to hit a draw and other ball flights.

Follow these tips and hitting a draw will be at the fingertips.

Return from How to Hit a Draw to Bo Knows Golf Tips

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Bo Knows Golf Tips Facebook Bo Knows Golf Tips Twitter

We appreciate anything you can contribute to this website. We appreciate your support as we do not take your donations lightly as it helps keep our website current and fresh with information. To donate please use the button below. If you give $20 or more we will send you our free E-Book "The Major Swing Philosophies of Golf" by Bo Watson

Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter!

E-mail Address
First Name

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Bo Knows Golf Tips Newsletter.

Ask a Pro Can't find what you're looking for? Ask me over at Golf Questions and Answers Page.

Putting Line Find out why a correctly fit putter is crucial to the success of your Putting Line.


Bo, I wanted to thank you for your help so far with my golf game. I wanted to let you know that I shot a 75 the other day in a tournament round, my best round ever. I had 32 total putts and NO 3 putts. I definitely couldn't have done that before. Thanks again and I'll be back in touch soon to get some more lessons lined up.


Bo I just wanted to tell you about another tournament I played in. I went out and played and shot a 75 which is one of my best rounds this year so I think everything is coming together. I've been making alot of birdies lately and just wanted to thank you for everything!

Adam Mikhalko

Hey Bo when I got back from camp I played really well I’m putting great and I’m hitting the ball well. Thank you for everything at camp.


Hey Bo!!! I have been playing my best in golf, mostly because of you!!! two days ago I shot an 80 in my club tourney and came in 3rd place.

Brandtley Taylor

I played in a tournament when I got back from camp and shot 76 and came in fourth. I feel much more confident on the course with my mental thoughts. I used the tips you wrote down on that sheet and they have helped me alot.

Freddy Weber